Your SEO optimized title

Wat Yai Chai Mongol 1357 Ayutthaya


Wat Chai Mongkol Ayutthaya 1357


  • Wat Yai Chai Mongol was established by King U-Thong in 1357 A.D. for the use of monks returning from Ceylon after training and ordination.
  • The very large bell-shaped chedi that frames the skyline today was built in 1592 A.D. during King Naresuen’s reign to commemorate a victory he had over the Burmese in the same year. It sits high on an octagonal base, with an upper pedestal structure to accommodate the body of the chedi.
  • The roof of the mondop has collapsed, exposing the huge Buddha image housed within. When the Burmese invaded Ayutthaya in 1767, it was ransacked. The main chedi survived, and restoration work has involved a row of Buddha statues being sculpted to replace those destroyed along the veranda enclosing the chedi.
  • A new roof has been constructed over the existing ruins of the bot, to prevent further deterioration. Near the main entrance is an almost completely remodeled white stucco image of large Buddha in a reclining posture.



Wat Chai Mongkol Ayutthaya 1357