Your SEO optimized title

Shwezigon Temple Pagoda Bagan


Shwezigon Temple Bagan


  • According to Scholars the name Shwezigon came from "Zeyabon", In Inwa Mingyi’s poem on "Nine Wonders of Shwezigon, Shwezigon Pagoda is cited as "Zeyakon". It’s cited as "Zeyabon" in line 16 of the engraving on the bell that was donated to Shwezigon Pagoda by King Bayint Naung.



Shwezigon Temple Bagan


  • King Anawrahta started constructing Shwezigon Pagoda. It was encircled with stone bricks carved at the Tuyin Taung mines by his son King Kyanzittha in 1090. Some people state that King Anawrahta abandoned it uncompleted and King Kyanzittha completed it. Shwezigon Pagoda is among 43 enclosed pagodas in Bagan. A meticulous study of Shwezigon Pagoda will confirm that right from the base up to the upper part of the bell shaped dome the complete body is constructed of stone bricks. It is stated that a royal abode was set up where King Kyanzittha lived to organise the transportation of bricks by hand from the Tu Yin Taung mines to the building site on the place of existing Nan Gyi Kon.
  • Nan Gyi Kon is among famous ancient places in Bagan to the south of Shwezigon Pagoda.
  • Shwezigon Pagoda is a pattern of Myanmar Zedi, in construction. There are a number of inscriptions beautifying its verandas. There are polished stone inscriptions on which pictures from 550 Jatakas (birth stories of Buddha) are painted. The colour of paint is typically green.



Shwezigon Temple Bagan