Your SEO optimized title

Lodhi Gardens Delhi


Lodhi Gardens


  • Lodhi Gardens is a park in Indian capital Delhi. It is spread over an area of 360,000 square metres and contains architectural works of the 15th century by Lodhis. Presently the site is under protection of the Archeological Survey of India (ASI).
  • The gardens are located on Lodhi Road between Safdarjung's Tomb and Khan Market and is an ideal place for locals for their exercises.



Lodhi Gardens


History

  • The historical tombs are the main attractions of the park. The oldest tomb is the tomb of Mohammad Shah, last Sayyid ruler. It was built in 1444 as a homage to Mohammed Shah. This tomb is octagonal in shape and can be seen from the road. Inside the tomb, there are 8 graves with grave of Mohammad Shah at the centre.
  • Another tomb is that of Sikander Lodi, which was constructed by his son, Ibrahim Lodhi in 1518 with a Persian style dome. It is similar to the tomb of Mohammed Shah.
  • Ibrahim Lodhi was the last Sultan from Lodhi dynasty. He was defeated by Babur in 1526, which laid the establishment of Mughal Empire.
  • Two villages around the monuments developed after the fifteenth century. But during the British rule, villagers were relocated to develop gardens and renamed the ‘Lady Willingdon Park” after Lady Willingdon, wife of Marquess of Willingdon, Governor-General of India. After independence of India in 1947, it was renamed as Lodhi Gardens.
  • Since 2005, Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) and Archeological Survey of India arrange walks inside the park area. INTACH has published a booklet which provides information about trees, birds, monuments inside the complex and park’s history.